
Investigations into the matter have been ongoing since 2025, but no formal trial has been initiated, and the specifics of the alleged plan have not been publicly disclosed.
The Nigerian military has reportedly made new arrests linked to an alleged plan to overthrow President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration.
Among those detained is Major H. Yusuf of the Nigerian Army, a member of the 57 Regular Course who recently completed his Senior Course at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji.
Major Yusuf is being held alongside other suspects in connection with what authorities have described as a coup plot, though details surrounding the alleged conspiracy remain scarce.
Investigations into the matter have been ongoing since 2025, but no formal trial has been initiated, and the specifics of the alleged plan have not been publicly disclosed.
Observers have described the situation as opaque.
Background
Nigeria’s Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (retd.), recently revealed that he was among senior officials marked for elimination in the alleged coup plot uncovered by the military late last year.
Speaking on Sunday Politics on Channels Television, the minister said the plotters intended to arrest him and shoot him if he resisted.
His disclosure came days after the Armed Forces confirmed that some of the 16 officers arrested in October 2025 would be prosecuted for allegedly attempting to overthrow President Tinubu’s administration.
“I was also a target,” General Musa, the immediate past Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), said during the programme. “I was supposed to be arrested, and if I refused, I was supposed to be shot.”

